Monday, September 9, 2013

Interview with debut novelist Melissa Jagears, and free novella on kindle

Welcome Melissa! We are so happy to have you here this week, and that
you have agreed to share a bit about yourself.


Q: First of all—coffee and donuts, Pepsi and 
doritos, or water and celery sticks? J
Um, water and Doritos? I know that’s not a choice,
but I don’t like Pepsi or coffee and well, celery sticks??
That’s no fun.

Q: When did you first know you were a writer?
I’m not sure I am one, I just write. I guess since I’ve
persevered in writing I’ve become one somewhere along
the way.

Q: How does history play into your writing?
It can make or break my story! I go into a story with
the romance and characters in mind first and then make
sure nothing history-wise hurts my story as I research the
time and locale. And sometimes it does and I have to rearrange/rewrite things.

Q: If you could sit down and interview any person, fictitious or real from any time, 
who would that be and what is the first question you would ask?
Who: Christ. Question: Would you take me home?

Q: Who have been your mentors, and how did they help you most?
My mentors are people who have written—books, blog posts, etc. It’d be nice to have a
real life one. My crit partners are probably the closest I have to guiding me. They give me
a kick in the pants when my story goes off-kilter.

Q: What do you hope your readers will take away from your debut? And can you 
hint at the series to come?
That keeping things that hurt secret only causes you more hurt.
The series is based on real mail-order bride stories that went horribly wrong. I read a
fascinating collection of them and couldn’t help but make up romance stories for some
of the stranger ones.

Q: Do you have a question you would like our blog readers to answer?
Would you have had the guts to be a mail-order bride? What would it have taken to push
you there?

You can find me here:
Website: www.melissajagears.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/melissajagearsauthor

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6929011.Melissa_Jagears

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/melissajagears/

Inspirational Historical Fiction Index: http://inspirationalhistoricalfiction.blogspot.com/

Index’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/InspirationalHistoricalFictionIndex

The enovella prequel, Love by the Letter, is free right now on kindle. Download your copy here.
Love by the Letter – Dex Stanton’s first attempt at acquiring a mail-
order bride fails when the lady writes back ridiculing his atrocious
spelling. Rachel Oliver, the smart little brunette who sat in front of
him in school, is the last woman he wants to ask for help. How can
he handle her knowing what a dunce he really is?

A Bride for Keeps—Although Everett Cline can hardly keep up
with the demands of his homestead, he won’t humiliate himself
by looking for a helpmate ever again–not after being jilted by
three mail-order brides. When a well-meaning neighbor goes behind
his back to bring yet another mail-order bride to town, he has good
reason to doubt it will work, especially after getting a glimpse at the
woman in question. She’s the prettiest woman he’s ever seen, and
it’s just not possible she’s there to marry a simple homesteader like
him.


Thank you Melissa for being with us this week. I wish you every blessing
as you write for His glory!



13 comments:

  1. This book sounds good and one I would enjoy reading. In regard to the question - I might have taken off and become a mail-order bride and it would have probably taken having no one left, say for instance my family all passed away to push me to take off across the country to become one. I would of course would have wanted to write for a bit to get acquainted that way, but if I felt the man was genuine I would have probably gone. It may be a thing that there were no man available around where they lived too, as to why they picked up and moved across country to do this - that is true of today where I live, but today I would be more leery of doing that than back in simpler and more peaceful times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of across country, we seem to be doing it across continents now. I've known of several Asian country brides coming to America to marry men. Two of my mother's co-workers included!

      Delete
  2. I am excited for Melissa about her book!!! Anxious to read it. Thanks for the chance. I have downloaded the freebie.
    No, I don't think I could be a mail-order bride.....no!
    jacsmi75 [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jackie! Me either. I'd end up living in the privy with my outspoken ways. heehee

      Delete
  3. Hi, Melissa!

    Thanks for letting us learn more about you & your writing! Your books have cute storylines, & I would love to read them.

    I guess, if I was living in the era & setting of your books, & it was in my younger days when I gave no consideration to the Lord's plans for my life - I may have been interested in being a mail-order bride, if I really wanted to be married, & there were no other possibilities.

    Today - as a person who allows Him to direct her paths, & whose only consideration for a spouse would be someone who loved the Lord as she did, the answer would probably be no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about a couple meeting on Twitter across country and then getting married. I think with our advanced ways of communicating, people are not as "far away" as they once where and may be easier for God to show us what direction to go without the need for us to subscribe to mail-order bride services. :) And it does definitely sound like a younger thing to do...unless you were widowed with a ton of kids...

      Delete
  4. Oh I don't know if I could have had the guts. Of coarse if I was in a situation such as life or death for a loved one or if I was a widow with kids that needed a dad... I'd have to pray a LOT about it first though, and make sure it was what I was being led to do. I think if it was just for me (i.e. I was lonely or just wanted a husband) then probably no. But I don't know what I'd be capable of doing in those kinds of situations though. :/ Very interesting to think about! Thanks Melissa. :)

    Blessings, Amada (pronounced: a.m.a.th.a)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the widow situation would definitely make me look more into a marriage of convenience than any other reason.

      Delete
  5. Great interview! Your books sounds delightful - I will have to look them up. :)
    I'm not so sure I'd have the guts to do it. I'm not a very adventurous person that way. I don't like change. I'd probably have tried to find a different solution.
    lattebooks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a woman would definitely have to have guts to become a mail-order bride. Or terribly desperate!

      Delete
  6. thanks for all the great comments! You ladies are awesome. Don't forget to download the free novella for your kindle reader. And most PC's can get kindle downloads, too, so don't be shy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the novella - so sweet and I just love knowing all I can about the characters! Can't wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa, I am really looking forward to reading your book. It sounds intriguing. As for the mail order bride, I just don't know. I guess that would take a lot of soul searching. Maybe when I was much younger I would have jumped at it, but now that I'm older that would be hard to decide. I feel that God has a person for us and I just don't know that I could make a blind choice.
    Thank you for letting us get to know you a little better.
    Blessings
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete